Recent studies have shown that implementing Scrabble, chess and Go in the classroom can significantly enhance the mental and intellectual abilities of students. But, independent research aside, what are the real benefits of cognitive skill gaming?
At Mindsports Academy Education (MSE) we believe that every child should be encouraged to play core mind games to boost their cognitive learning skills.
Mindsports Academy Education (sponsored by Harper Collins and Mattel) is an educational website designed to help schools and clubs set up and run breakfast, lunchtime and afterschool games clubs aimed at developing cognitive gaming skills using Scrabble, Chess and GO.
Benefits of Integrating Mindsports in the Classroom
A growing number of researchers and practitioners are encouraging mindsports such as Chess, Scrabble and Go as a favourable method of teaching that can both involve children in schools and fortify abilities vital in the current times. Responses collected by the “National survey of Games” show that mindsports can have enormous advantages for children in schools.
It would benefit educational establishments to join Mindsports Academy Education, encouraging team-based games that are designed on a specific topic to provide information, create an experience, entertain, engage, present challenges and promote collaboration/discussion. Playing board games can be beneficial, they satisfy children’s competitive urges and the desire to master new skills and concepts. Skills used include number/shape/letter/colour recognition, grouping, counting, reading, visual perception and hand-eye coordination.
Make sure you plan for an outstanding lesson
Teaching that is held in check by an inappropriate or dull lesson plan will not inspire pupils or generate high standards.
* Teachers and other staff working together can incorporate cognitive mindsports into their lessons to create an innovative lesson plan.
* Just by virtue of playing them, cognitive games can teach important social skills such as communicating verbally, sharing, waiting, taking turns, and enjoying interaction with others.
* Cognitive games can foster the ability to focus, and lengthen your child’s attention span by encouraging the completion of an exciting, enjoyable game.
* Good collaborative activities tap into the talents in the room and help connect the learning with the world at home.
* There is an exciting atmosphere of communication and competition that encourages verbal expression while cultivating traits of patience and persistence.
* Laughter is one of the key ingredients to successfully learn new ideas and often accompanied when playing games.
* Studies have shown that children retain more information in a relaxed and happy environment.
Today, schools around the globe are increasingly identifying the worth of mindsports; with instructions to include these games as a portion of the regular syllabuses. Mindsports have helped in producing some of the brightest minds of the previous century as well as generating enough literature about how to play, particularly in the case of chess. Mindsports are principally an efficient tool of teaching as these games challenge the way children think regardless of their ability. They can teach youngsters in school the significance of organisation and the costs of judgments. By following the above-mentioned recommendations, policy makers and educators can efficiently employ mindsports in the classroom to enhance mental and higher order cognitive functions.